EXPECT: Fascinating history, delivered with energy and insight on a walking exploration of Sydney’s original settlement: The Rocks. Together we will uncover the scallywag stories of convicts, soldiers, rum and rebellions.
TOUR TASTER: Once upon a time, a bizarre colonial experiment took place on the rocky shores of an ancient harbour. Thousands of miles from home, Britain’s banished thieves were locked in a prison with walls made of ocean, hunger, fear and the bush.
Defying the odds, their shanty camp clutched to life on the banks of a tiny stream. Gardens were grown, rum was traded and homes were carved into the sandstone cliffs.
Centuries changed and legends grew. Scallywag Sydney was born. Her squalid secrets & stories etched into the very foundations of the city we know today.
Journey Walks invites you to share a part in this story. This tour will keep your eyes wide open, your ears pricked and your imagination ignited.
ON THE JOURNEY:
Your walking tour will cover:
YOUR GUIDE: This tour is led by a local historian who specialises in storytelling. Learn more about YOUR TOUR GUIDE
– Tours last approximately 2 hours and covers approximately 2.5 km (1.5 miles)
– Please arrive 10 minutes before your tour begins to check-in with your guide.
– This tour moves at an easy-going pace and visits approximately 20 stops
– While mostly on flat ground, some stairs are included in our walk due to the layout of The Rocks
– Your guide is a native English speaker with a clear voice
– Our groups are kept small so that the platform for questions, discussion and interaction can be kept large
– Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are advised that this tour may include the names and images of people who are now deceased.