EXPECT: Fascinating history, delivered with energy and insight on a walking exploration of Sydney’s original settlement: The Rocks. Together we will uncover the scallywag stories of convicts, soldiers, rum and rebellions.
TOUR TASTER: Once upon a time a bizarre colonial experiment took place on the rocky shores of a forested cove. Thousands of miles from home, Britain’s banished thieves would be locked in a jail whose walls were made of ocean, hunger, fear and bush.
Defying the odds, this shanty camp would clutch to life on the banks of a tiny stream. Gardens were grown, rum was traded and homes were carved into the sandstone cliffs.
Centuries changed, legends grew, scallywag Sydney was born. Her squalid secrets etched into the very rocks from which she was built.
Journey Walks invites you to share a part in this story. This tour will keep your eyes wide open, your ears pricked and your imagination ignited.
ON THE JOURNEY:
Your walking tour will cover:
YOUR GUIDE: This tour is led by a local historian who specialises in contemporary storytelling. An interactive and playful atmosphere is created that makes all feel welcome and involved. Learn more about YOUR TOUR GUIDE
$24.00 2 hours
– Tours last approximately 2 hours and covers approximately 2.5 km (1.5 miles)
– Please arrive 10 minutes before your tour begins to check-in with your guide.
– This tour moves at an easy-going pace and visits approximately 20 stops
– While mostly on flat ground, some stairs are included in our walk due to the layout of the Rocks
– Your guide is a native English speaker who will communicate information clearly, ensuring you can hear every word
– Our groups are kept small so that the platform for questions, discussion and interaction can be kept large
– Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are advised that this tour may include the names and images of people who are now deceased.